• To build on the children’s natural curiosity.
• To take an active part in hands on activities.
• To apply their knowledge and understanding of science.
• To develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics.
• To develop understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that helps them to answer scientific questions about the world around them.
• To ensure they are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
At Brize Norton Primary School we seek ways to harness a child’s natural curiosity for the world around them. We encourage them to ask questions and come up with their own ideas about how they might be able to answer them.
How Science is Taught
Investigation skills are taught to every year group and the children are given opportunities to apply them through practical and interactive lessons. This ensures the children are able to think scientifically and increases their motivation - both for Science and in making links to learning in other subjects. Some terms we run Science clubs, showing children that science can be fun and used outside of the classroom. Wherever possible learning is applied using the outdoor environment, showing the children that Science is all around them in their everyday lives.
What the children say
“Science is cool. I like it when we get to do exciting experiments”
“It’s awesome it help you to develop a good brain. I particularly enjoy biology and want to be a Dr when I grow up”.
“I enjoy learning about how to do fun things like separating liquids”
"It is enjoyable, exciting and fascinating”
Science is taught using a two-year rolling programme.
Topics 2021 - 22
Year 1, 2 and 3
Autumn Term: Materials; Animals: nutrition and basic needs
Spring Term: Big Science Event; Humans - senses
Summer Term: Plants; Rocks, fossils and soils
Year 4, 5 and 6
Autumn Term: Properties of and changes to materials; Earth and space
Spring Term: Big Science Event; Forces
Summer Term: Humans: changes over life; Animals: life cycles and reproduction