Aims of the Subject: Art
• Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
• Become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
• Evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
• Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
How Art is taught at Brize Norton
Art and design provide countless opportunities for children to explore and enjoy their natural creativity. At Brize, we like to teach the basic skills of drawing, painting and colour-mixing, as well as providing opportunities to undertake more specialised projects using textiles or clay, for example. Art is project based, starting with sketch books to explore and practise ideas before developing them further. Through studying great artists they learn how these areas of the curriculum both reflect and shape our history. At Brize Norton Primary School we value these things highly and as such are keen to engage, inspire and challenge pupils. We aim to equip them with the knowledge, skills and confidence needed to experiment, invent and create their own pieces of art work, developing ideas themselves and evaluating the outcomes.
Aims of the Subject: Design Technology
• Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technical world.
• Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
• Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
• Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
How DT is taught at Brize Norton
Using creativity and imagination as part of Design and Technology projects, pupils design and make items that solve real and relevant problems. They are provided with opportunities to consolidate, develop and learn skills such as mathematics, science, computing and art. Pupils learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative and enterprising.
We strive to ensure that both Art and Design and Technology are practical and inspiring subjects, providing real, exciting and new experiences. Throughout the school, we take a creative approach in both subjects, teaching as part of a topic to ensure maximum impact, to ignite even more ideas and to give depth and purpose to projects.
KS1 Topics 2018-2019
Sculpture - Planes over time
Drawing and Painting
Print-making with plants and vegetables
Cooking and balanced diet
KS2 Topics 2018 - 19
A great artist from History (to be decided...)
ART and DT: Sculpture and planes over time
Topics: Key Stage 1 2017 - 18
Topics: Key Stage 2 2017 - 18
Construction: cams, levers, linkages, pulleys, gears
Mixed media (drawing, painting, collage)