Aims of the Subject
The national curriculum for History aims to ensure that all pupils:
• Know and understand the history of Britain islands as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day.
• Know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind.
• Gain a historically grounded understanding of abstract terms such as ‘empire’, ‘civilisation’, ‘parliament’ and ‘peasantry’.
• Understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance.
• Understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used to make historical claims, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed.
How History is taught at Brize Norton:
History at Brize is creatively taught throughout the school using a topic based approach. Pupils are given the opportunity to investigate photographs, documents, clothing, music and artefacts to interpret the past in different ways. Visits to historical sites and museums are highly valued at Brize. These take place to help the children to gain further (and occasionally ‘realistic’ ) knowledge and understanding of what the past, and people who lived in the past, were like. Visitors to school also provide the same experiences.
History is taught using a multimedia approach, where pupils learn (and are then encouraged) to ask perceptive questions, think critically, debate evidence and develop their own perspective and judgement of historical events. The aim of this is to equip the children with the skills they need to become independent thinkers and learners.
Topics Key Stage 1 2018-2019
Local historical events and changes over time: RAF 100
Topics Key Stage 2 2018-2019
Local History Study: RAF Brize Norton , RAF 100 and WW1
Topics: Key Stage 1 2017 - 18
Victorian toys, Queen Victoria, Victorian Christmas
An event or famous person from the past, chosen based on the children's interests
Topics: Key Stage 2 2017 - 18
Crime and Punishment
Early Islamic Civilisation
Topics: Key Stage 1 2016 - 17
A significant historical event from the past
Other topics to suit children's interests
Topics: Key Stage 2 2016 - 17
Anglo-Saxons and Vikings